Lasagna is just one of those comfort food meals – which everyone loves. I recently discovered, that the eggplants goes perfectly well with tomatoes and peppers. Union made in heaven. Lots of all-eaters have tried this recipe and they ALL loved it. And it is a quick one also. 😉
Ingredients; (4-5 people)
* 1 case of lasagna sheets (without egg, the ones you don’t need to precook)
* 500 g of tomato sauce (it can be pure or with basil and veggies)
* 5 large eggplants
* 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 carrot
* ½ glass of red wine
* salt, black pepper, Italian spices, smoked paprika
* green pesto
* if you want vegan cheese on the top – use VioLife.
1. Cut each eggplant lengthwise into 5-6 pieces. Sprinkle some salt over them and leave them for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile prepare the sauce; chop the onion and put it in a large pan (with a tablespoon of oil) to simmer. Add 2 shredded garlic cloves. Shred the carrot in. Stir for 5-7 minutes; add ½ glass of red wine when it starts to stick to the pan. Cook for 5 more minutes.
3. To the previous pan – add your tomato sauce. Spice it up with salt, pepper, fresh basil if you have it, or just with dried Italian seasoning. Put in a pinch of smoked paprika.
4. In a grilling pan – grill all of the eggplant pieces till soft. It takes 2 minutes on each side. I use rice oil – they need quite a fer amount of oil altogether. Set them aside.
5. Take a large lasagna dish, oil it and stack the first lasagna sheets (it takes 4 sheets) on the bottom of the dish. Pour 1/3 cup of boiling water over them. Then use the first layer of the sauce to cover them. After that stack 5-6 grilled eggplant pieces over the sauce. Repeat. Lasagna sheets + sauce + eggplants.
6. The last layer is tomato sauce. I usually put some green pesto here and there over the sauce. If you like – top it up with a vegan cheese. But I can inform you that it is just as good without.
7. Cook in the oven (or in my case – in the aga) for 35-40 minutes.