FRIED PARASOL (umbrella) MUSHROOM WITH CHARD POTATO (vegetarian)
A WORD OF CAUTION – if you don’t know this mushrooms well – than don’t pick them. They grow on the outskirts of woodlands and in them. But they can be mistaken for a highly toxic mushroom that looks quite similar. Here is the link to what Parasol eatable mushroom is.
So if you are not a knower of these mushrooms – just use the Oyster mushrooms which you can buy instead. I’ve been growing up with these in Slovenia, so was quite surprised when I realized people here in England don’t eat them.
More for me! 😀
Ingredients: (for 3-4 people)
* 5-6 larger potatoes
* 4-5 large chard leaves
* 7-8 Umbrella mushrooms (you can use any type of larger mushrooms)
* 2 dcl of any vegan milk, flour and breadcrumbs
* 2 cloves of garlic, olive oil, half glass of white wine
* black pepper, salt
* tartar sauce; freshly made written below (step.6)
- Peel the potatoes. Cut them into inch thick pieces. Put them into a pot and add boiling water and salt . Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the stalks from the chard leaves (set them aside to use some other time in a broth). Chop the chard leaves into inch strips and boil them for 3 . 4 minutes.
- Prepare three smaller containers or soup plates – in one put half an inch of flour, second one 2 dcl of almond (or other vegan) milk + 2 -3 tbsp of flour, some salt, pepper, thyme – combine with fork or blender. In third put half an inch breadcrumbs.
Cut the mushrooms a half (so that you can check that they are good inside). Then dip each piece in flour, batter and breadcrumbs.
- Fry the prepared mushrooms in vegetable oil (at least half a cup of oil per larger pan). 2-3 minutes each side.
- In a pan or vok pour some olive oil, add 2 smashed cloves of garlic, cooked chard leaves, white wine and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add cooked potatoes and stir it together. Little bit of fresh parsley on the top.
- Serve with fresh tartar sauce made from 4 spoons of sour vegan cream, 3 spoons of vegan mayonnaise, one spoon of French mustard, 2 small chopped gherkins, chopped parsley and chives.
This is the type of dish – which you can’t get in any restaurant. This is straight from the woods and garden. I guarantee you the feeling of humbleness when eating this meal. <3
If you follow my recipes, fell free to adapt it to your own taste. Add a little bit of yourself in it. 😉